Welcome to 271 Downey Street, a delightful Victorian home, ideally situated in the highly coveted Cole Valley/Ashbury Heights neighborhood. With its sidewalk cafes, bakeries and fromageries, Cole Valley brings a bit of je ne sais quoi to the heart of San Francisco. You can stroll downhill to find great restaurants, gourmet food & wine stores, “mom & pop” storefronts and the locally-owned, aptly named Cole Hardware store. Everyday basics like a mechanic, dry cleaner, gym and coffee shops are right here as well. With 21 nearby routes, including the N-Judah Muni line, downtown transit is a breeze. Freeway access for the South Bay commute is easy, too.
Let’s take a walk through this traditional family home. Before you enter the home, you are greeted with attractive stone steps and a front patio at the top of the stairs. As you open the front door, you will find a proper entry that leads into a formal living room and dining room, complete with bay windows, fireplace, detailed period built-in cabinets and tons of charm. This space enjoys original, period detail, but has been updated for modern living. The kitchen features stainless steel appliances – Viking stove & Frigidaire refrigerator – ample cabinet space, granite counter top and a breakfast nook with spectacular views of the rolling hills, Golden Gate Park, Marin Headlands, ocean/bay & just a peak of the GG Bridge! This main level is complete with a half bath off of the kitchen.
Walk upstairs to two spacious bedrooms with hardwood floors. The back bedroom enjoys views and a spacious walk-in closet and the front bedroom is huge! With a skylight in the hallway, this top level is light & bright. A tile bathroom with shower over tub & another skylight completes this traditional level. Walk downstairs to the lower level and you will find a third light-filled bedroom and second full bathroom – perfect for teenager, guest, in-law or nanny quarters. This lower level also enjoys brand new wall to wall carpeting, a spacious home office area, laundry room equipped with a washer & dryer, access to a bonus wine cellar room, abundant storage, & direct, interior access to the 1-car garage (with additional storage). There is a lovely, private, terraced yard accessed from this level or the kitchen level.
Enjoy San Francisco living at its finest in this dream Cole Valley / Ashbury Heights home.
- Spacious, Well-Maintained, View Home
- Quiet, One-Way, Tree-lined Street
- 3 Bedrooms/ 2.5 Bathrooms
- Formal Living Room & Dining Room
- Decorative Fireplace
- Lovely Period Details & Built-ins
- Updated Kitchen & Bathrooms
- Breakfast Area Offering Spectacular Views
- Office & Guest Quarters Downstairs (unwarranted)
- Newly Refinished Hardwood Floors
- Fresh Interior & Exterior Paint
- New Carpets on Lower Level
- Superb Natural Light
- Bonus Wine Cellar Room & Ample Storage
- 1-Car Parking
- Terraced Yard
- Excellent Walkability & Transit-Friendly Location!
A NOTE FROM OUR SELLERS:
Welcome to 271 Downey!
We are happy to be able to show you our home. There is a natural warmth, simplicity and character to the home that we felt from the day we moved in. It holds a special place in our heart as well, because we entered this home as newlyweds and left it with a family of three wonderful girls. There are so many special things about the home (beyond our own wonderful memories of things like painting the master bedroom ourselves before moving in, placing our first, brand new baby in her carseat on the floor of her gigantic bedroom – the same bedroom later occupied by three giggling girls, mornings spent together in the breakfast nook eating pancakes and looking out at Point Reyes and Point Bonita lighthouse…).
What we love about our house:
• Silence in the city – Our first night in our new bed Erik said, “Listen – do you here that…. It’s silence!” We have never stopped appreciating how lucky we are to be in a home in the heart of a vibrant neighborhood, but on a street that is so quiet that you almost feel you are in the country
• Amazing views – The back of the house feels perched above the city. We love to sit in the kitchen with our girls, eating dinner while watching the Marin Headlands change colors as the sun sets, or watching the Point Bonita light house flicker. And the view from our bedroom is nothing but city, ocean and rolling hills – we never got tired of waking up to that!
• A special street – This is a very beautiful quiet, tree-lined street hidden in the heart of Cole Valley. So we feel like we have the best of urban walkability without the ambient noise and disturbances. Also, this small street has a vibrant community that includes an annual block party and holiday party.
• Well designed kitchen with lots of storage – The kitchen flow in this home was so well thought out – everything is easily within reach and there are miles of floor to ceiling cabinets. Friends can sit at the kitchen bar while you cook and entertain.
• Warmth, charm and character – The felt immediately at home in this house, the large size of the rooms always bathed in light, the easy flow between rooms, (both for entertaining and for kids), and the simple but classic lines, really made this house feel like a home for us and made it so wonderful to live in.
• A hideaway for guests – The downstairs bed and bath were a godsend for us over the years with friends and relatives coming to stay for many days at a time. Because this guest room is downstairs it felt very separate and private. We underestimated how much we would appreciate this feature over the years.
• All the extra storage and the wine room – The amount of storage in this home is really phenomenal. Because we were able to store all the items you don’t need very often in the large garage, wine room or unfinished sub-basement it meant that our house never felt cluttered with closets bursting with sports equipment, Christmas decorations or suitcases. It was all hidden away on the “fourth level”.
• And last, but of course, not least – Cole Valley itself – A truly wonderful and unique neighborhood – from Brunch at Zazie, to coffee at Reverie, to a croissant sitting outside of Boulange, to a slow week-end ramble through Golden Gate Park, this neighborhood has everything you could want and such a warm, friendly neighborhood feeling.
We started our family in this wonderful house and wonderful neighborhood and it will always have a special place in our hearts. We hope you enjoy discovering this home and neighborhood as well.